Saturday, May 9, 2009

J-Horror

Horror movies are one of my favorite things ever, and Japanese horror films are no exception. Last night my friend and I went to the used DVD store and I found two J-horror movies in the foreign section - Pulse, and Dark Water. I haven't watched them yet, but I'm excited!

If you've not watched Japanese horror movies before, I highly recommend it! Japanese horror has a much different feel than Western horror...And the movies suck less often, lol. I'm sure you're aware of the remakes made available in the US (The Ring, The Grudge, The Eye) but please, try the Japanese originals if you can find them!


One of my favorites was the movie Reincarnation, about a woman who auditions for a movie filmed in a haunted hotel. 面白いです!

Where to look:
-Used DVD stores/pawn shops
-Amazon.com/eBay
-Often, there will be Japanese horror in the Free Movies! section of OnDemand if you have that option. Try not to miss them!

List of Japanese horror movies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-Horror

Vocabulary (click the kanji for stroke order from kanji-a-day.com):

ホラー映画 (hora- eiga): horror movie
い (kowai): frightening, scary
る (miru): to watch

No comments:

Post a Comment