Saturday, May 23, 2009

Um...What? Pulse (JP) Review

(x-posted to my horror movie review blog, Horror Movie Love)

Pulse (or Kairo, its Japanese name) is a J-Horror movie directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa.

Pulse follows several Japanese college students who...Do stuff...One of them dies...And then this other guy doesn't know how to use a computer and contacts the dead through the internet somehow...And...Yeah...

Okay, this movie was really hard for me to follow.

People are killing themselves, and there's a website that asks his guy if he wants to meet a ghost, and there's a forbidden room and some red tape that makes ghosts go away and the city is pretty much empty of people, and (I will give away the ending because I don't even know if it counts as a spoiler) they end up on a boat trying to get away from whatever it is for some reason even though whatever it is is everywhere. That is all I got from this movie.

It's often said that Japanese horror is much more subtle and leaves more to the mind than western horror - this might have been a little much for me. I really don't have much to say about it. Perhaps a second round of viewing is necessary, but I feel kind of done with it.

I can't deny that it was pretty damn creepy at times, though. But Pulse/Kairo is skippable, unless you are really into Japanese horror.

Vocabulary (click on kanji for stroke order from Kanji-a-Day.com):

コンピューター (konpyuutaa): computer
(nani): what (as in...WHAT??!!!??)
(yuurei): ghost

No comments:

Post a Comment